The Additional Support Needs (ASN) registration category relates to teaching in the 3-18 years age range and is not subject specific. Teachers who are currently employed as an Additional Support Needs (ASN) teacher in an Independent School and were appointed before 1 October 2017 can apply for registration in ASN.
Further information about this registration, and the requirements, can be found here: ASN Registration
We recommend that teachers who are delivering the curriculum aim to register in the most appropriate mainstream registration category - Primary Education or Secondary Registration (in at least one of the subject areas being delivered). However, we are aware of the need for flexibility in some cases, and teachers are advised to have a discussion with their school and decide which type of registration is most relevant and appropriate to them.
Additional Support Needs (ASN) Registration – Teachers Employed as ASN teachers in Independent Schools (including Education Through Care Scotland – EtCS – Establishments) Prior to 1/10/17
*although Grant Aided Schools in Scotland are also Independent Schools, the transitional arrangements do not apply in their case.
What are the minimum requirements?
- Appointed to post of ASN teacher in an Independent School or EtCS Establishment prior to 1 October 2017
- A degree (or equivalent qualification)
What type of registration will be awarded (Full, Provisional or Provisional Conditional)?
This depends on the qualifications held by the teacher and the service that they have completed in ASN.
- Mainstream Teaching Qualification (TQ) or ASN award held
- Provisional (Conditional) Registration – this will be awarded if the applicant has given less than two years of full-time ASN teaching service (or the part-time equivalent). Up to 190 days’ full-time (or 270 days' part-time) probationary teaching service will apply. The condition will be that the teacher may only work as an ASN teacher in the Independent Sector until Full Registration is granted.
- Full registration – this will be awarded if the applicant has given two years of full-time ASN teaching service (or part-time equivalent).
The ASN award needs to be at SCQF level 9 or above and bear a minimum of 60 SCQF credits. Some applicants may be enrolled on a Master's programme and wish to continue to study for the PGDip or Master's degree rather than to exit with a PGCert after completing 60 SCQF credit points. In such cases, we will be able to accept confirmation from the awarding institution that the applicant is enrolled on the programme and has successfully completed modules bearing 60 credit points, in lieu or an award certificate.
Teaching service in ASN given prior to the award of an ASN award can be considered towards the teaching service requirement.
- No Mainstream TQ or ASN award held
Once the above condition and probation requirement have been met, Full Registration will be awarded.
- Provisional (Conditional) Registration.
- The condition will be to complete a Teaching Qualification (e.g. University of Highlands and Islands TQ Practitioner Route PGDip) or appropriate ASN award (see note above).
- If the applicant has not already taught in ASN for 2 years' full-time (or the part-time equivalent), a probationary period of up to 190 days' full-time (or 270 days' part-time) teaching service will apply.
Will there be a time limit for meeting the condition (where Provisional (Conditional) Registration has been awarded)?
- It is not planned to impose a time limit at present. However, this will be reviewed after 5 years.
Where will these teachers be able to work?
Teaching service, following the award of ASN registration via this route, will be restricted to within Independent Schools (including EtCS establishments) unless/until the teacher has been awarded Full Registration.
Once the teacher has achieved Full Registration in ASN, and has parity with teachers who have qualified and registered in ASN in line with GTCS’ standard registration rules, the restriction will no longer apply to their teaching service and they will be able to take up a post in any school.
When will registration start to be awarded in this new category?
- We can accept applications now.